Monday, April 28, 2008

The Equal Rights Party



Now that it is hot again I can open my french doors and enjoy the garden. Unfortunately this creates an opportunity for feral cats and bugs to enter my domain.

I painted Frederick Douglas last night. The bugs were landing on the canvas and getting their delicate legs and wings stuck on the wet paint. I had to redo Frederick's nose many times to disguise the bug parts. Now he looks funny. He was a handsome man but, thanks to the bugs, his likeness is less than perfect.

I learned an interesting fact about Frederick. He ran for vice president in 1872. His running mate was suffragist, and champion of free love, Victoria Woodhull. They were nominated by the equal rights party. A black man and a woman running for office is not new. Today they stand a better chance though. I wish Hillary and Obama would run together instead of fighting.

No comments: